- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Unbeaten Auburn looks like a loser
Though Auburn players and coaches have been remarkably subdued and classy in their criticisms of the system, they seem almost mystified that a team could go undefeated in such a league and not reach the title game.
A month ago, as he stood in the press box before Auburn spanked fifth-ranked Georgia 24-6 to run its record to 10-0, longtime New York Daily News columnist Dick Weiss surveyed the electric scene at Jordan-Hare Stadium and remarked, “This really is it, isn’t it? This atmosphere, these people, this conference — this is the epicenter of college football.”
Yes. Why else would Utah’s Urban Meyer choose Florida over Notre Dame? Money? OK, why else would Florida be willing to pay him twice as much as the Irish?
Auburn could be spared from this unthinkable BCS fate if USC loses to UCLA or Oklahoma loses to Colorado today, but both are three-touchdown favorites. And perhaps a rout by Auburn, coupled with a narrow Oklahoma win, could serve the same purpose if the Tigers then vaulted the Sooners in both polls and, as a result, in the BCS standings.
But such a scenario is a stretch. And there’s little immediate solace in knowing it was your team that provided the painful paradigm that expedited a playoff system.
“In a movie, USC or Oklahoma would get upset, and the Tigers would get their shot at respect. But this ain’t the movies,” says Thompson. “And a future playoff doesn’t help our boys who have worked their tails off this season. Nope, I’m afraid this one has an unhappy ending.”
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.