- The Washington Times - Saturday, September 25, 2004

Stevens deportation tied to spelling error

NEW YORK — An incident last week in which British former singer Cat Stevens was deported from the United States to London as a “no-fly” terrorist risk was caused by a spelling error, Time magazine reported yesterday.

Mr. Stevens, 57, gave up his successful pop music career in the late 1970s, taking the name Yusuf Islam after converting to Islam. He had been traveling from London to Washington on Tuesday when his flight was diverted to Bangor, Maine. He was detained there on “national security grounds” and summarily put on a plane to London, said security officials.

Asa Hutchinson, the Homeland Security Department’s undersecretary for border and transportation security, refused to specify the allegations against Mr. Islam.

Time, in its online edition, quotes aviation sources with access to the “no-fly” list as saying there is no entry on the list under the name “Yusuf Islam” but that there is a “Youssouf Islam” on the list. The reports says the incorrect name was added to the list this summer.

Because Mr. Islam’s name is spelled “Yusuf” on his passport, said the sources, he was allowed to board a plane in London bound for the United States. The Transportation Safety Administration alleges that he has links to terrorist groups, which he has denied.

Man arrested along Bush motorcade path

PADDOCK LAKE, Wis. — A man sitting in a car along the route for President Bush’s motorcade faces charges for having a loaded gun and a throwing knife.

John Waldron Jr., 57, of Trevor was noticed by another spectator because he was dressed as a woman. The spectator contacted authorities. The gun, in a case, and the knife were in the vehicle.

Mr. Waldron couldn’t explain why he had the weapons but told an investigator he was there only to take a picture of the president, according to a sheriff’s report. He had a camera with him.

Mr. Waldron will be charged with disorderly conduct and carrying a concealed weapon, said sheriff’s Capt. Gary Preston.

CBS News cancels ‘60 Minutes’ Iraq story

NEW YORK — CBS News has shelved a “60 Minutes” report on the rationale for war in Iraq because it would be “inappropriate” to air it so close to the presidential election, the network said yesterday.

The report on weapons of mass destruction was set to air on Sept. 8 but was put off in favor of a story on President Bush’s National Guard service. The Guard story was discredited because it relied on apparently fake documents impugning Mr. Bush’s service.

CBS News spokeswoman Kelli Edwards would not elaborate on why the timing of the Iraq report was considered inappropriate.

The report, with Ed Bradley as the correspondent, has long been in the works. Originally scheduled for June, it was first put off because of new developments, Miss Edwards said.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide