- The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 3, 2005

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — Martha Stewart’s release from home confinement and her electronic anklet has been delayed three weeks to the end of the month, her attorney said yesterday.

Walter Dellinger said in a one-sentence letter that the domestic diva “has agreed to an extension of the terms of her home confinement until Aug. 31.”

Those conditions include staying inside her home north of New York City except for 48 hours per week for employment, food shopping, doctor appointments and church. And Stewart must always wear the anklet, about which she repeatedly has complained, saying it irritates her skin.

“I am not allowed to take it off at any time, and I am not allowed, while in my home, to have any padding under the strap,” she once told fans during an Internet chat. “I hope none of you ever has to wear one.”

Stewart boasted once that she had learned from the Internet how to remove the transmitter, although probation officials said she never did.

It was not revealed what Stewart did to earn the extra three weeks of confinement. Mr. Dellinger’s assistant, Ann Kienlen, said he would not elaborate beyond his one-sentence announcement.

The chief U.S. probation officer in New York, Chris Stanton, would not confirm or deny the extension of Stewart’s confinement. A call to Stewart’s company, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc., was not immediately returned.

The New York Post reported Sunday that Stewart was seen riding an off-road vehicle on her estate and she attended a yoga class nearby. Mr. Stanton would not say whether those were probation violations or if they constituted part of her employment.

Stewart’s release from the anklet and home confinement had been expected Aug. 10. Her original five-month confinement sentence followed a five-month prison term for lying about a stock sale.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide