- The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 5, 2006

YEMEN

Gunman shot, held near U.S. Embassy

SAN’A — A gunman opened fire outside the U.S. Embassy early yesterday, but was shot and arrested by Yemeni guards before he could breach the first of the compound’s three security lines.

The man in his 20s, identified as Salem Mohammed Salem, told interrogators he wanted to kill Americans, a Yemeni military official said. Authorities would not say whether the gunman was acting alone or part of a terrorist group.

On Nov. 22, a Yemeni court convicted 34 members of a Shi’ite Muslim rebel group of plotting attacks across Yemen, including one targeting the U.S. Embassy. The group’s leader was sentenced to death.

ISRAEL

Report: Hezbollah used human shields

JERUSALEM — An Israeli think tank with ties to the military has compiled a dossier of video and testimony accusing Lebanese guerrillas of using civilians as human shields in their summer war with Israel.

The study was undertaken to rebuff war-crimes claims over Israel’s bombing and destruction of residential areas in Lebanon.

Israeli aircraft and artillery killed more than 850 Lebanese, most of them civilians, during the 34-day conflict with Hezbollah guerrillas. Lebanon, a U.N. human rights agency and international rights groups have accused Israel of war crimes.

Israel maintains its attacks against Hezbollah targets in populated areas did not violate international law. It says Hezbollah deliberately operated within civilian areas, raising the civilian death toll.

KUWAIT

Gitmo ex-detainee acquitted on appeal

KUWAIT CITY — Kuwait’s highest court of appeal overturned the conviction of a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner yesterday, acquitting him of terror-related charges, his attorney said.

Nasser al-Mutairi, 28, a Muslim hard-liner, was captured by U.S. forces in Afghanistan in 2001. He returned to Kuwait last year after almost three years in the U.S. military prison in Cuba.

He was put on trial soon after his return and sentenced to five years in prison for joining a foreign military force without permission, harming Kuwait by serving the interest of a “foreign country,” and undergoing illegal weapons training. A criminal court acquitted him in June, but months later an appeals court ruled that he was guilty and sentenced him to five years in prison. Tuesday’s decision by the Court of Cassation is final.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide