- The Washington Times - Sunday, January 8, 2006

Washington, Nov. 14, 1998 (CNN) — The United States has rejected Iraq’s latest offer as unacceptable. National Security Adviser Sandy Berger said Saturday night that Baghdad’s offer to comply [with U.N. Security Council resolutions] was “neither unequivocal nor unconditional.”

Berger also said there was every reason to be skeptical of the offer from Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein to comply fully with inspections. “We’ve seen this before, broken and unfulfilled promises,” Berger explained.

Pentagon sources say President Clinton had already ordered a cruise missile strike against Iraq, when Baghdad’s last-minute offer to allow U.N. inspections prompted the president to call off the attack.

Sources say B-52 bombers, armed with cruise missiles, were already in the air, having left their base in the United States, when the order came to stand down.

Pentagon officials said there has been no change in the plans for the deployment of 140 additional aircraft and 4,000 additional troops to the Persian Gulf region.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide