- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Gang attacks police, 30 persons killed
SAO PAULO — One of Brazil’s most notorious gangs staged dozens of attacks on police before dawn yesterday, setting off gunbattles in three cities that killed at least 30 persons, officials said. Twenty-four prison uprisings also were reported across Sao Paulo state.
It was the worst assault on authority since gangsters armed with machine guns, bombs and other weapons attacked police stations in Sao Paulo city during 10 days in November 2003. Both sprees were blamed on the gang First Capital Command, known by its Portuguese initials, PCC.
Thousands rally against U.S. troops
SEOUL — Thousands rallied on a downtown Seoul boulevard yesterday to protest a plan to relocate American military bases, the largest anti-U.S. demonstration in the South Korean capital this year.
According to police estimates, about 6,000 people rallied to protest moving the Seoul-based American military headquarters and some other bases to Pyeongtaek, about 40 miles south of the capital.
The relocation has been a main target of anti-U.S. activists here. They claim the project is part of a U.S. scheme to position its troops where they can be deployed quickly to possible conflicts outside the Korean Peninsula.
Journalist on trial for Web publishing
BEIJING — A Chinese journalist who posted essays about political issues on overseas Web sites was tried last week on subversion charges but insisted he is innocent, his lawyer said yesterday.
Li Yuanlong, a 45-year-old writer for the newspaper Bijie Daily in the poor southern province of Guizhou, was indicted on Feb. 9, five months after he was detained.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Malaysia Airlines says plane on route to Beijing missing
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again