- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
- Rep. Steve Stockman: Give my campaign $10, and you’ll get an Obama barf bag
- Putin: Russia to buy $15 billion in Ukraine bonds
- Expert: Obamacare ‘death spiral’ fears exaggerated
- Alabama firefighters dig for survivors of apartment blast
- Big Sur wildfire destroys home of firefighting chief
- ‘ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas’ set for mock trial to argue authorship
- Angela Merkel’s third term as Germany’s chancellor to be marked by move to left
- Mega Millions entices with record-setting jackpot: Half a billion so far
- Dennis Rodman heads to North Korea — despite execution, political purge
ESPN evolves with new media
BRISTOL, Conn. BRISTOL, Conn. — In the world of sports, initials signify dominance: Think Hall of Famers such as MJ and LT and all-stars such as TO and AI.
The most recognizable and powerful initials in the sports world, however, don’t belong to Michael Jordan, Lawrence Taylor, Terrell Owens or Allen Iverson.
They instead represent a company in Bristol, Conn., that once was responsible just for airing 24/7 coverage of games, highlights and news but now is perhaps the most powerful force in sports.
Now in its 27th year, ESPN, or Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, has become a multibillion-dollar behemoth, a standard offering for nearly every cable and satellite company in America. Moreover, the network no longer is just a broadcaster of events and news but is an essential partner to nearly every sports league.
With six domestic cable channels, Web sites, magazines and radio networks, ESPN already is the largest sports media company in the world.
Over the past several years, it also has emerged as a player in the world of “new media,” striking deals to add live sporting events and highlights on the Internet, IPods and wireless phones.
“ESPN has a lot of stuff, and they have a lot of qualities of a great brand,” said Rob Frankel, an independent branding analyst based in Los Angeles. “One of the signs of a healthy brand is that others want to follow it. And I don’t think people are duplicating it very well.”
At its core, ESPN still is a television company. The original cable channel is available in 92.3 million homes, more than any other cable network, and sister channel ESPN2 is available to 91.7 million cable and satellite subscribers. ESPNClassic, ESPNews and the Spanish-language ESPNDeportes are available to a combined 123 million households.
ESPN continues to grow overseas, operating 31 networks serving 194 countries in 12 languages.
The operation skeptics predicted would fail now is celebrating 10 years as part of Walt Disney Co., one of the world’s largest entertainment conglomerates. (Disney owns 80 percent of ESPN, with the remaining 20 percent controlled by the Hearst Corp.)
Analysts expect revenues for ESPN to exceed $5 billion this year and reach $7 billion by 2008.
The name of the sports network is so recognizable that the network struck a deal with ABC, another Disney property, to give all programs once carried under the name of ABC Sports a new label: “ESPN on ABC.”
“We’re very blessed,” said John Wildhack, ESPN’s senior vice president of programming, acquisitions and strategy. “We have a brand that resonates with sports fans.”
Wherever fans are
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- PRUDEN: The scam that will not die
- Robert E. Lee and 'Stonewall' Jackson tributes face Army War College removal
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Global-warming mania's deadly fallout
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Wasted: Tom Coburn's 'Wastebook targets 70 days in bed, Facebook
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- Senators in rush to pass budget vow to undo cut to military retirement pay
- Mega Millions players dream of a green Christmas with lottery jackpot at $636 million
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Uncensored exploration of issues concerning current events, civil liberties, American political advocacy, and the political and social issues facing military veterans.
NFL junkie Eric Golub reports on his favorite obsession. There is no football offseason. Every February he pretends to care about other sports while sobbing uncontrollably each Sunday until September.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow