- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Fire damages Eastern Market
Eastern Market, a Capitol Hill landmark that dates back to the 19th century, was ravaged by fire this morning.
The building was empty, and there were no injuries.
The southern half of the landmark was decimated by the blaze, which took firefighters two hours to extinguish.
The fire nearly demolished the collection of meat, produce and other shops that is a popular destination throughout the region.
Fire Chief Dennis L. Rubin said investigators believe the fire began in a trash bin behind the market and then spread to the building.
"This is devastating," said Alan Etter, a spokesman for the D.C. Fire Department. "Basically everything is charred and destroyed."
The building is owned by the D.C. government.
D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty toured the market with Chief Rubin for about an hour early today. When he emerged, he vowed to rebuild the landmark.
"This building has such great history and importance to the city," Mr. Fenty said. "We'll bring it back 100 percent. How could we not? It's going to take some resources and some good planning but ... that's too much history to let get burned away."
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- FIELDS: Oscars' fantasy on the Left Coast
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again