- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
“What’s with these, spoiled, anorexic, garishly made-up, expensively and skimpily dressed, drug addicted, alcohol swilling, chimney smoking, foul-mouthed, arrogant, ignorant, so-called ‘young stars’?
“Is there no end? The maxi-publicized, mini-talented Paris Hilton goes to the slammer for 23 days and ‘finds God.’ Well, sort of.
“With scarcely a beat, Nicole Richie, another no-talent party-girl and pal of Paris, gets a four-day jail sentence for a DUI, along with community service, a fine and probation. It’s her second DUI conviction. On top of that, this example of starvation-chic is pregnant by a boyfriend. Tabloids speculate which one.
“Then, there’s Britney Spears, already on thin ice concerning custody of her two children. She was the center of a midday brawl at a Las Vegas casino, as a photographer tried to get a picture of Brit and her son when they walked through. Spears‘ bodyguard jumped the guy, who suffered minor injuries. …
“And of course … Lindsay Lohan — just celebrated her 21st birthday, officially making her an ‘adult.’
“I guess she didn’t read the instruction book.”
“Of all the bogeys you might have thought well and truly nailed in the past decade or so, the population-control movement seemed most obviously to have a stake through its heart. At a time when we — I mean, anyone over 35 — are all horribly conscious that there won’t be enough taxpayers to support us … in our old age, the very last thing we need to worry about is excess population growth. …
“But, against all the odds, the population-control lobby is back and trying to make the breeders feel guilty. …
“[W]hen it comes to the suggestion that in Western Europe, and especially Britain, we should be cutting back on babies, especially among the indigenous population, well, the family planners have got to be nuts. Do they all have private pension provision, own homes and health insurance, or what? …
“Europe needs more babies — the average continental family has a mere 1.37 children. …
“The last thing we should be doing is bullying people to breed less.”
— Melanie McDonagh, writing on “The cry should go up in Europe: more babies, please,” July 13 in the Times of London
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- White House touts leadership in handling of crisis in Ukraine, despite lack of results
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again