- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Question of the Day
The Textile Museum
2320 S St. NW. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Closed holidays. Request $5 donation. 202/667-0441.
• “Art Nouveau and Nature.” 2-4 p.m., Aug. 4.
• “Architectural Textiles.” Through Aug. 19.
1644 31st St. NW. 202/965-0400.
• Tours of this historic house, which belonged to Martha Washington’s granddaughter, at 10 and 11:30 a.m., 1 and 2:30 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and on the hour 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Sunday tour times are noon, 1, 2, 3 p.m. Reservations suggested for individuals, required for groups. Admission is $3-$6.
USDA Forest Service Information Center
14th Street and Independence Avenue NW. 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. 703/205-1680.
• Rustic lodge hosts videos and hands-on displays. On permanent display.
U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
100 Raoul Wallenberg Place SW (near 15th Street and Independence Avenue SW). 202/488-0400. 10 a.m.-5:20 p.m. daily except Yom Kippur and Christmas. Metro: Smithsonian. Certain attractions, such as “Daniel’s Story: Remember the Children,” do not require special passes. Entrance to the museum’s permanent exhibition is by timed entry passes, available at the museum (free) or through ProTix ($4.50 service charge), 800/400-9373.
• “Give Me Your Children”: Voices From the Lodz Ghetto.” Through Sept. 3.
Walters Art Museum
600 North Charles St., Baltimore. 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday, to 8 p.m. Fridays. Free. 410/547-9000.
There's nothing centrist about the senior senator from Virginia
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq