- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
School board holds special election
Voters in Wards 1 and 2 will head to the polls today to select a new member of the State Board of Education.
The special election is being held so voters can choose a replacement for Jeff Smith, a former school board member representing District 1 who resigned in protest of Mayor Adrian M. Fenty’s takeover of the public school system.
The only candidate listed on the ballot for Mr. Smith’s spot is education writer and school volunteer Mary Lord, although Georgetown University graduate and first-year public school teacher Jason Crawford has mounted a write-in campaign.
Polls in the two wards will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Voters who do not know their assigned polling place can visit the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics Web site at www.dcboee.org or call 202/727-2525.
Police locate relative of abandoned child
Prince William County police said they have located a relative of a 4-year-old girl who was abandoned Sunday night at a Chuck E. Cheese’s restaurant, although the girl remains in the custody of Child Protective Services.
Witnesses said the girl entered the restaurant some time after 6 p.m. with a woman who was about 25 years old. Police said the girl was left at about 9 p.m. and gave her name as “Taji.”
Congressman charged with assault, battery
Rep. Bob Filner, California Democrat, has been charged with assault and battery in an incident Sunday night at Washington Dulles International Airport, the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority said.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again