- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
Inside the Beltway
He blames state governments for “slamming the door on outdoor families the old-fashioned way: with outrageous fees for nonresident hunters, even when the hunting is done exclusively on federal land.”
For example, he says, an out-of-state license fee in Wyoming is $281 for deer and $481 for elk; in Colorado, it is $301 for deer, $501 for elk; in Montana, it is $643 for both. And in New Mexico, if two sons decide to take their dad on a weekend getaway, they each face fees of $355 for deer and $766 for elk.
Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David Kennedy and fellow writers Ken Burns, JoyceCarol Oates, Harry Turtledove and David Baldacci are among several dozen accomplished authors who will join former librarian turned first lady Laura Bush next month at the 2007 National Book Festival, sponsored by the Library of Congress.
“This will be the seventh year of this extraordinary celebration of the joy of reading and the creativity of America’s writers and illustrators,” Librarian of Congress James H. Billington says.
The event will take place on the National Mall, between Seventh and 14th streets Northwest, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 29.
• John McCaslin can be reached at 202/636-3284 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: I do
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Classical music and the performing arts: news and reviews you can use.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
White House pets gone wild!