- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
Busy summer doldrums
Question of the Day
• The Maryland Department of Education last month announced grants of up to $10,000 to 24 state elementary, middle and high schools to develop or expand chess programs and instruction. The grants, the first of their kind in the state, can be used to create chess programs, to pay for training and supplies, and to defray travel and logistical costs for tournaments.
For more information about the Chess in Maryland Schools program and the grants, call 410/767-0034 or click on to http://marylandpublicschools.org/MSDE/divisions/superintendent/grants/overview.
• Quick hits … Maryland-based GM Alexander Onischuk, the 2006 U.S. champion, notched one of his best career results by tying for first in the 40th Biel Chess Festival invitational in Switzerland, which ended Thursday. Onischuk and Norwegian GM Magnus Carlsen shared top honors in the prestigious Category 18 event…. Ukrainian GM Vassily Ivanchuk, perhaps the hottest player in the world right now, won his third major tournament in less than two months at the 8th Montreal International last month in Canada. Ivanchuk’s 7-2 score put him a point ahead of Dutch GM Sergei Tiviakov. U.S. top-rated GM Gata Kamsky tied for fourth at 5-4.
Frank Berry U.S. Women’s Championship, Stillwater, Okla., July 2007
1. d4Nf619. axb4Rb6
2. c4e620. fxe5dxe5
3. Nf3Bb4+21. c5Rxb4
4. Bd2Qe722. Nxb4Qxc5+
5. g3Nc623. Kh1Nxb4
6. Bg2Bxd2+24. Qb3Rb8
7. Nbxd20-025. Qc4Qd6
8. 0-0d626. Qe2c5
9. e4e527. Nc4Qe6
10. d5Nb828. Rfc1Bb5
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq