- ‘Fact-Checker’ blog takes on Dems for their comments on Hobby Lobby decision
- Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract sells for $1.02M at auction
- Citigroup settles subprime mortgage case for $7B
- Archie to be shot saving gay friend in comic book
- Sen. John McCain on illegal child immigrants: Fly them home, now
- Pope Francis puts number of priestly pedophiles at 2 percent: report
- Oregonians flee in face of fast-moving wildfire as homes go up in blaze
- Eric Holder: ‘Racial animus’ fuels opposition to Obama and me
- Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl to return to active duty at Fort Sam Houston
- Israel says it’s downed drone along southern coast
A mistake that didn’t fly
Question of the Day
Birds aren’t the only creatures to suffer indignities at the hands of sports folks. In his autobiography, star pitcher Dwight Gooden told how he saw New York Mets teammate Kevin Mitchell behead his girlfriend’s cat during an argument. Minor league pitcher Jae Kuk Ryu intentionally knocked an osprey off its perch with a baseball; the bird died six days later. A golfer named Harry Wagner clubbed to death a 6-foot black swan because he felt “threatened” by the bird.
And the all-time champion of animal abuse was Mississippi State football coach Jackie Sherrill, who attempted to “educate and motivate” his players in 1992 by having a bull castrated on the practice field.
Afterward, Sherrill remained clueless, apologizing “if this incident was in any way not perceived as proper.”
Winfield, though, was hardly that kind of lout. An educated, well-spoken man, he was widely admired while batting .283 with 3,110 hits, 465 home runs and 1,833 RBI during a 22-year major league career. He remains the only athlete to be drafted in three major sports (by MLB’s San Diego Padres, pro basketball’s Atlanta Hawks and Utah Stars and the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings.
On second thought, maybe big Dave should have chosen hoops. After all, there are no seagulls in basketball arenas.
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Eric Holder: 'Racial animus' fuels opposition to Obama and me
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Obama's 'blank check' rejected as border solution
- Defense Dept.: Contracting personnel may be wasting billions due to FAR regulation confusion
- Inside the Beltway: White House grade slips to 'F'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs