- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
Question of the Day
Capitol Hill bar, shop damaged by fire
A bar and a gift shop on Capitol Hill have been damaged by a fire.
Officials said the fire was reported shortly before 5 a.m. yesterday in the 200 block of Pennsylvania Avenue.
A tarp covering some furniture behind the Capitol Lounge caught fire, although investigators are not sure how.
The lounge and the neighboring Trover Gift shop were damaged and both are closed for now.
The Capitol Lounge was the scene of a serious fire two years ago.
English declared official language
The Culpeper County Board of Supervisors has unanimously approved a resolution declaring English the county’s official language.
The board also voted Tuesday to join other localities in seeking the General Assembly’s help dealing with issues stemming from illegal aliens, including the costs of providing services.
It marked the first action taken by the county's governing board on the issue.
Loudoun and Prince William counties have passed similar resolutions in the past several months.
Steve Walker, the rules committee’s chairman, said counties have limited authority to make significant changes regarding illegal immigration. But he said the counties might be able to suggest legislation to the General Assembly that would authorize specific actions once the localities determine what they need to do.
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world