- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
Question of the Day
Art museum planned
The founder of Gap Inc. plans to build a vast museum near the foot of the Golden Gate Bridge to house his collection of contemporary art, much of which has remained hidden from public view.
Donald Fisher, 78, said yesterday that he hopes to erect the 100,000-square-foot museum in the Presidio, the one-time military base that is a national park overlooking the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco Bay.
The collection of more than 1,000 pieces amassed by Mr. Fisher and his wife, Doris, includes work by such contemporary stalwarts as Andy Warhol, Alexander Calder, Roy Lichtenstein and Gerhard Richter. Experts believe the collection could fetch more than $1 billion in today's buoyant art market.
"I'm concerned about what happens to the collection," Mr. Fisher said. "I don't want to turn around and sell it, and I don't want it to be sold when I pass away. I'd like it to be seen."
Most of the work is in the Fishers' homes and in two galleries at the San Francisco headquarters of Gap, the retail giant the couple founded in 1969.
Mr. Fisher hopes to open the museum in three years. It first must undergo an environmental review and receive approval from the park's board before going forward.
Judgment on O.J.
O.J. Simpson must pay the family of the late Ronald Goldman any money he earns from a video game featuring his likeness to satisfy a $38 million wrongful death judgment, a judge ruled Tuesday.
A Los Angeles Superior Court judge ordered that any money be turned over to Mr. Goldman's father, Fred Goldman.
The game, All-Pro Football 2K8, features Mr. Simpson's likeness playing as one of 240 former football greats.
Mr. Simpson, who lives in Miami, was acquitted of murder in the 1994 killings of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman but was found liable in civil court.
Mr. Simpson owes Mr. Goldman's family the $38 million as part of that lawsuit. Goldman estate attorney David Cook welcomed the court order and accused Mr. Simpson of profiting from his public persona.
Calls to Mr. Simpson's attorney were not immediately returned Tuesday.
The judge also ordered Mr. Simpson to turn over all correspondence, documents and contracts with the video game's publisher, Take-Two Interactive Software, to the Goldman family. The court's order did not detail how much money Mr. Simpson might have earned from the deal.
Last week, a federal bankruptcy judge in Miami awarded the Goldmans rights to a book Mr. Simpson wrote based on the slayings. The book was never released because of public outrage.
Another Los Angeles judge has issued a temporary restraining order that prevents the release of a 1994 videotape documenting a breast augmentation surgery for Anna Nicole Smith.
Superior Court Judge Mitchell L. Beckloff granted the order Friday at the request of Miss Smith's former attorney and executor of her will, Howard K. Stern.The injunction prevents the sale, distribution or dissemination of the videotape.
In court documents, first obtained by CelebTV.com, Mr. Stern accused Gerald Wayne Johnson, the Texas doctor who performed the surgery, of sending a tape showing the procedure to Thomas Riccio, a Los Angeles-based memorabilia dealer. Mr. Stern claims the surgery was taped without the former model's consent.
Miss Smith died of an accidental drug overdose in Florida in February at the age of 39.
In a letter written June 22, Dr. Johnson said he routinely records surgeries with the patient's permission and promises to keep the video confidential "during the patient's lifetime." Dr. Johnson said he gave Mr. Riccio permission to use the video after Miss Smith died.
Mr. Stern claims Dr. Johnson's wife and Mr. Riccio would share in any proceeds from the sale of the videotape to various media outlets.
Compiled by Kevin Chaffee from wire reports.
Exchanges reveal an ugly American abroad out to bring down conservatives
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world