- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Richard C. Matthews, 81, ex-Carroll County delegate
HAMPSTEAD, Md. (AP) — Former Delegate Richard C. Matthews, a Carroll County Republican and business owner, has died.
Mr. Matthews, 81, died Thursday at Carroll Lutheran Village in Westminster. He represented Carroll County in the state House from 1967 until 1994. Mr. Matthews also owned and operated Matthews Service Station-Matthews Tire Co. in Hampstead for more than half a century.
Former Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., a Republican, served with Mr. Matthews on the House Judiciary Committee from 1987 to 1995. He said Mr. Matthews would start sentences with the caveat that he was not a lawyer.
“He represented the views of the small-business owner in a town full of lawyers,” Mr. Ehrlich said.
Mr. Matthews was a 1943 graduate of Hampstead High School and had served as director of Hampstead Bank. He was a member of St. John’s United Methodist Church, in Hampstead. Mr. Matthews was a charter member of the Hampstead Business Association and the Hampstead Lions Club and a member of the Westminster Elks.
His hobbies included reading, golf, coin collecting, and antiques.
Survivors include Mr. Matthews‘ wife, Dorothy, and a sister, Joan M. Bair of Westminster.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow