- The Washington Times - Wednesday, January 17, 2007

2:04 p.m.

MADRID — David Beckham and Ronaldo were left off Real Madrid’s squad today for a Copa del Rey game.

Coach Fabio Capello continued to shun the pair, four days after he said Beckham would train only with Madrid after the superstar agreed to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Beckham announced last week that he would leave Madrid in June to join the Major League Soccer team in a five-year deal reportedly worth $250 million in salary and endorsements.

However, Capello suggested that he may have to be flexible regarding Beckham’s playing time.

“Nothing can be discarded. We’ll have to see. The idea we have you already know. We have to be flexible from time to time,” Capello said on Madrid’s Web site. “Beckham is a great professional and always trains with enthusiasm. The idea could change.”

Ronaldo was available for transfer by Madrid after an injury-plagued season.

Italian media said today the Brazilian striker agreed to a 1 1/2-year contract with AC Milan, although the clubs must settle on a transfer fee.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide