- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Question of the Day
Romney heads to Iowa
Mitt Romney tomorrow is taking his unannounced presidential campaign to Iowa, home of the country’s first presidential caucus vote Jan. 14, 2008.
The former Massachusetts governor and his son, Tagg Romney, plan to lunch with residents at Buck’s Restaurant in Waterloo and tour Hawkeye Renewables, a renewable fuels plant in Fairbank.
They will round out the day at a reception at the Best Western Midway Hotel’s Hoffman House Restaurant in Dubuque.
— S.A. Miller, Capitol Hill correspondent, The Washington Times
Meet the new Newt, same as the old Newt
CAMBRIDGE, Md. - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is not known for his brevity.
The Republican was the lunch speaker at today’s retreat. Word has it his talk went on - and on - longer than expected. Republican leaders were supposed to meet with reporters staking out the gathering at 1. That became 1:15, then 1:30, and finally they trotted out at 2:10.
“It was Newt being Newt,” Minority Leader John Boehner said. “There was nothing new there.”
Maryland Rep. Wayne Gilchrest, whose district includes the Hyatt where Republicans were retreating, happily gave five minutes of the region’s million-year history. When he started talking about sediment, some of the other leaders sneaked smiles at each other. Seems they’d heard the speech before.
— Christina Bellantoni, Capitol Hill correspondent, The Washington Times
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq