Taliban vows summer wave of suicide bombers

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

From combined dispatches

KABUL — The Taliban is gearing up for a massive summer offensive, with more than 2,000 suicide bombers ready for action and even more preparing, a senior Taliban commander said yesterday.

The commander, Mullah Hayat Khan, issued his threat a day after a top U.S. diplomat warned that Afghanistan was in for a bloody and dangerous spring after the bloodiest year since the hard-line Islamist Taliban was ousted by U.S.-led forces in 2001.

“The Taliban will intensify their guerrilla and suicide strikes this summer,” the mullah said, speaking with Reuters from a secret location. “This will be a bloodiest year for foreign troops.”

He said 2,000 suicide bombers were ready — about 40 percent of the total suicide force — adding that numbers were so high that it was sometimes hard to find enough explosives and targets.

“Our war preparations have been completed to a large extent, and we’re waiting for summer to set in,” Mullah Khan said.

More than 4,000 people died last year, a quarter of them civilians, as the resurgent Taliban fought back with what NATO generals said was surprising ferocity.

Calling the guerrillas virulent and tough, Richard Boucher, U.S. assistant secretary of state for South Asia, warned on Friday the spring would be bloody and dangerous after the traditional winter lull in fighting.

“I think we will face a strong offensive and will have a difficult and dangerous and bloody spring,” he told BBC radio as NATO foreign ministers discussed Afghanistan’s future at a summit in Brussels, “but we are also better set up to deal with it.”

The threat coincides with an upsurge in attacks by Muslim terrorists on both sides of the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.

Pakistani investigators probing a suicide blast at a top hotel in Islamabad said yesterday they were looking at possible links to pro-Taliban extremists near the border. Police said they were examining the head, a leg and an arm of the bomber who detonated explosives strapped to his body when he was prevented from entering the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad on Friday, killing a security guard.

“Experts are examining the few remains of the bomber’s body in a bid to identify him,” said Brig. Javed Cheema, the Interior Ministry crisis-management chief.

Officials said a sketch of the bomber could not be prepared because no witnesses so far had come forward, nor had hotel security cameras filmed the attacker.

Interior Ministry officials said no group had yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

“We suspect [the attack] could be by militants opposed to the government’s drive against Taliban elements in the tribal regions,” a senior security official said on the condition of anonymity.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story
Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus