- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Smuggled alcohol turned into fuel
STOCKHOLM — Smugglers trying to sneak alcohol into Sweden are unwittingly helping fuel the country’s public transport system and reducing its greenhouse emissions.
Almost all of the 185,000 gallons of smuggled alcohol seized by the customs service last year was turned into alternative fuel and used to power buses, trucks and a biogas train, officials said Friday.
The beer, wine and liquor is taken to a plant in Linkoping, 125 miles southwest of Stockholm, where it is heated and converted into biogas.
Biogas is used in Sweden to power some 1,000 trucks and buses and one train, said Carl Lilliehook, head of Svensk Biogas AB, which handles most of the confiscated alcohol.
Airport evacuated after bomb alert
MADRID — Ibiza airport was evacuated yesterday after a bomb warning upset the start of the peak holiday season on the Mediterranean island, Spanish police said.
Local press reports said the Interior Ministry stepped in to deny earlier reports of a controlled explosion at the airport.
Police evacuated the airport after the Basque newspaper Gara, used by the armed separatist guerrillas ETA to distribute information, received a telephoned warning of a bomb, Gara said on its Web site. But the caller did not say who they represented, which is usually the case with ETA.
Ibiza has long been a magnet for thousands of British and German vacationers and flights were diverted from the airport.
Nurse convicted of killing 5 patients
BERLIN — A court convicted a nurse Friday of murdering five patients at a top Berlin hospital with overdoses of medication, sentencing her to life in prison.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.