- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Around the Nation
Authorities said at least six cars and a semitrailer swerved into other highway lanes to avoid the boy, who after leaving the family’s second-floor apartment, got around a fence and onto the highway about 200 yards away.
Body of missing boy found in garbage truck
LOUISVILLE — The body of a 4-year-old boy who disappeared outside his home near Churchill Downs was found in a garbage truck over the weekend, and authorities say he was killed.
Cezar “Ivan” Aguilar-Cano was last seen playing outside his apartment building on June 29 near the home of the Kentucky Derby. His death was a homicide, Jefferson County Coroner Ron Holmes said.
Trash workers discovered the body Saturday in the neighborhood where he was last seen alive.
Police had received more than 100 tips, and authorities, friends and neighbors organized extensive searches for the child. A Louisville-based advocacy group for missing children, the Exploited Children’s Help Organization, asked volunteers to take thousands of fliers door to door within a mile of the boy’s home to dig up leads.
Neighbors told police that Cesar was a curious boy who would sometimes run around the complex unsupervised. It wasn’t uncommon for the boy to go inside open apartment doors, they said
No arrests have been made, authorities said.
Court officials’ cars head for auction block
LANSING — This year’s state auction of surplus vehicles will include vehicles that members of the state Supreme Court and Court of Appeals drove at taxpayer expense until earlier this year.
Justices and judges gave up their vehicles this year as the state faced a budget crisis. Use of state vehicles was a perk dating to the 1960s.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuke umbrella
- Echoes of Cold War in Ukraine as Russia battles Western influence
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- North Korean dictator stuns world with uncle's execution
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow