- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
Question of the Day
Mine evacuated in partial collapse
A Buchanan County coal mine was evacuated and shut down yesterday after a section of the roof fell and may have sparked an underground fire.
A Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy spokesman said no injuries were reported in the incident at Consol Energy’s Buchanan No. 1 mine.
The spokesman also said the department issued an order closing the mine indefinitely and dispatched a crew to join the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration and the company in sampling for gases, including carbon monoxide and methane.
Pittsburgh-based Consol said about 120 people were working in the mine when the incident occurred shortly before 10 a.m. The company also said it was not clear whether the roof collapse just caused a “flash” or whether a fire continued to burn underground.
Officials said it could take up to 72 hours to determine whether a fire is still burning.
Sevens sell but don’t pay
There was nothing lucky about the number seven for Virginia Lottery players on 7-7-07.
Saturday was July 7, 2007, and it came as no surprise to state lottery officials that the number combination 7-7-07 sold out for both the night and day Pick 4 drawings.
It’s not unusual for certain popular Pick 4 combinations to sell out, and it seemed likely that the “unique date” would result in a sellout Saturday, a lottery spokesman said.
However, lottery officials were surprised that 7-7-0-7 sold out again for Sunday’s drawing.
Even more astonishing, the spokesman said, was that the combination 7-7-7 sold out for both day and night Pick 3 drawings Friday and Saturday.
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq