- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Question of the Day
Mine evacuated in partial collapse
A Buchanan County coal mine was evacuated and shut down yesterday after a section of the roof fell and may have sparked an underground fire.
A Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy spokesman said no injuries were reported in the incident at Consol Energy’s Buchanan No. 1 mine.
The spokesman also said the department issued an order closing the mine indefinitely and dispatched a crew to join the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration and the company in sampling for gases, including carbon monoxide and methane.
Pittsburgh-based Consol said about 120 people were working in the mine when the incident occurred shortly before 10 a.m. The company also said it was not clear whether the roof collapse just caused a “flash” or whether a fire continued to burn underground.
Officials said it could take up to 72 hours to determine whether a fire is still burning.
Sevens sell but don’t pay
There was nothing lucky about the number seven for Virginia Lottery players on 7-7-07.
Saturday was July 7, 2007, and it came as no surprise to state lottery officials that the number combination 7-7-07 sold out for both the night and day Pick 4 drawings.
It’s not unusual for certain popular Pick 4 combinations to sell out, and it seemed likely that the “unique date” would result in a sellout Saturday, a lottery spokesman said.
However, lottery officials were surprised that 7-7-0-7 sold out again for Sunday’s drawing.
Even more astonishing, the spokesman said, was that the combination 7-7-7 sold out for both day and night Pick 3 drawings Friday and Saturday.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq