- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
- PETA ‘hopping mad’ at Michelle Obama for using real eggs at Easter Egg Roll
- Sneaky Nebraska toddler traps self inside claw machine game
- Biden to lead $600 million work force training effort
- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
Mine evacuated in partial collapse
A Buchanan County coal mine was evacuated and shut down yesterday after a section of the roof fell and may have sparked an underground fire.
A Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy spokesman said no injuries were reported in the incident at Consol Energy’s Buchanan No. 1 mine.
The spokesman also said the department issued an order closing the mine indefinitely and dispatched a crew to join the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration and the company in sampling for gases, including carbon monoxide and methane.
Pittsburgh-based Consol said about 120 people were working in the mine when the incident occurred shortly before 10 a.m. The company also said it was not clear whether the roof collapse just caused a “flash” or whether a fire continued to burn underground.
Officials said it could take up to 72 hours to determine whether a fire is still burning.
Sevens sell but don’t pay
There was nothing lucky about the number seven for Virginia Lottery players on 7-7-07.
Saturday was July 7, 2007, and it came as no surprise to state lottery officials that the number combination 7-7-07 sold out for both the night and day Pick 4 drawings.
It’s not unusual for certain popular Pick 4 combinations to sell out, and it seemed likely that the “unique date” would result in a sellout Saturday, a lottery spokesman said.
However, lottery officials were surprised that 7-7-0-7 sold out again for Sunday’s drawing.
Even more astonishing, the spokesman said, was that the combination 7-7-7 sold out for both day and night Pick 3 drawings Friday and Saturday.
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- EDITORIAL: Intolerance at Brandeis silences Muslim dissident Hirsi Ali
- Kirsten Dunst: Actress sparks feminist ire: 'You need a man to be a man'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.