- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
Mine evacuated in partial collapse
A Buchanan County coal mine was evacuated and shut down yesterday after a section of the roof fell and may have sparked an underground fire.
A Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy spokesman said no injuries were reported in the incident at Consol Energy’s Buchanan No. 1 mine.
The spokesman also said the department issued an order closing the mine indefinitely and dispatched a crew to join the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration and the company in sampling for gases, including carbon monoxide and methane.
Pittsburgh-based Consol said about 120 people were working in the mine when the incident occurred shortly before 10 a.m. The company also said it was not clear whether the roof collapse just caused a “flash” or whether a fire continued to burn underground.
Officials said it could take up to 72 hours to determine whether a fire is still burning.
Sevens sell but don’t pay
There was nothing lucky about the number seven for Virginia Lottery players on 7-7-07.
Saturday was July 7, 2007, and it came as no surprise to state lottery officials that the number combination 7-7-07 sold out for both the night and day Pick 4 drawings.
It’s not unusual for certain popular Pick 4 combinations to sell out, and it seemed likely that the “unique date” would result in a sellout Saturday, a lottery spokesman said.
However, lottery officials were surprised that 7-7-0-7 sold out again for Sunday’s drawing.
Even more astonishing, the spokesman said, was that the combination 7-7-7 sold out for both day and night Pick 3 drawings Friday and Saturday.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014