- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Ravens pick Terps’ Gaither
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Gaither (6-foot-9, 350 pounds) started 17 of his last 21 games at Maryland, playing both left and right tackle before academic problems ultimately ended his collegiate career.
The only other player drafted was Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver, who went in the fourth round to San Diego. The Chargers and Ravens forfeit their fourth- and fifth-round picks, respectively, in next year”s April draft.
Gaither did not participate in the Terrapins” spring season to concentrate on academics but was nonetheless declared ineligible for the 2007 season last month. He opted to declare for the supplemental draft rather than try to become eligible in 2008.
Gaither“s troubles began before last season when he was suspended for the first two weeks of practice and sat out the season opener for disciplinary reasons. He played less than half the snaps in Maryland”s bowl game and contemplated declaring for the draft before deciding to return to school.
There could be a spot on the 53-man Ravens roster for Gaither. Jonathan Ogden is the perennial Pro Bowl left tackle, but there are only three other tackles listed on the roster projected starting right tackle Adam Terry and guard/tackles Chris Pino and Marshal Yanda.
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Depth, distance reduce impact of California quake
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again