- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Shirley Lasswell, 84, ‘Pooh’ rights owner
Mrs. Lasswell died of respiratory failure at her daughter’s Beverly Hills home, family spokesman Lonnie Soury said.
Mrs. Lasswell, born Shirley Ann Basso on May 27, 1923, was married to the late Stephen Slesinger, who in 1930 obtained U.S. and Canadian licensing and merchandising rights to Pooh, Christopher Robin and other characters created by British author A.A. Milne.
When her husband died in 1953, she took over development of the characters and creating clothing, dolls and other items.
She licensed Pooh to Disney in 1961, the first of two licensing agreements between Stephen Slesinger Inc. and the Walt Disney Co.
Stephen Slesinger Inc. sued Disney in 1991, claiming the company miscalculated royalties due under that deal. Disney denies additional royalties are owed.
A dismissal of Mrs. Slesinger’s main lawsuit is being appealed in state court.
In 1964, she married Fred Lasswell, the cartoonist behind “Snuffy Smith” and “Barney Google.” He died in 2001.
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He's a 'scumbag'
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes