- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Only fourth worst? That has to be a joke
Question of the Day
Mainly, Angelos has wrecked the Orioles by ignoring the advice of his baseball people and changing them as often as some people change underwear. Everybody this side of George Steinbrenner knows you have to build strong franchises from the ground up rather than seeking futile quick fixes by hurling big bucks at whatever free agents are out there. Everybody except Angelos, that is.
I feel sorriest for executive vice president Mike Flanagan, who remembers when the so-called “Oriole Way” meant absolute success rather than abject failure. The former Cy Young Award winner is a throwback to the Os of Brooks, Frank, Earl, Pancakes, Boog, Davey and both Cals, Senior and Junior. I wonder what goes through his mind these days as he takes orders from a boss who knows more about asbestos than baseball.
Truly this weekend will be a mixed bag for Orioles fans. On Sunday afternoon, Ripken Jr. will be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame as perhaps 15,000 faithful eyewitnesses choose to honor the past rather than mourn the moment. It will be a happy moment and a sad one, all at he same time.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq