- FAA’s pre-Malaysia flight warning: 777s have cracking, corrosion issues
- Facebook HQ locked down; employees searched as police field threat
- Glenn Ford free, after serving 30 years for murder he didn’t commit
- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
Courthouse project overruns budget
The Washington County Commissioners had to raid the capital budget to cover cost overruns in the county courthouse renovation project.
The commissioners approved the transfer of $535,000 on Tuesday to cover the cost of delays. County special projects director Gary Rohrer said he may have to ask for even more money.
The work has already been delayed 18 months and exceeded the original $4.6 million cost estimate by more than $2 million. The project is now expected to be finished in February.
Inmates to build affordable homes
The Cumberland Housing Authority plans to use prison labor to build houses for low- and moderate-income families.
Plans call for three-bedroom modular homes to be built on former playgrounds.
Inmates would build the houses as part of a job training program at the Federal Correctional Institution.
Officials said the first houses can be finished before winter and will sell for less than $100,000.
Communications cut during road repairs
More than 6,000 homes and businesses lost phone and Internet service after a contractor cut communications lines yesterday.
Verizon spokeswoman Sandy Arnette said two telephone cables and two fiber-optic trunks were cut — three of them completely.
It could take days to repair the phone lines but the fiber-optic lines were repaired last night.
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- LOZANSKY: World War III over Ukraine, anyone?
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Minister sees breakthrough 'in months' for long-split Cyprus
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again