- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Question of the Day
Asked why he referred to the rifle as his “baby,” Mr. Townsend explained, “I wanted a bold statement and I wanted it to be effective — to stick in your mind and stay there.”
CPB and NPR
Contrary to an item in this column Monday, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting “does not run” National Public Radio, a network executive writes to Inside Politics.
“The CPB allocates federal funding to public broadcasting; it does not run NPR, PBS or any public radio or TV station,” said Andi Sporkin, NPR’s vice president for communications. “The CPB has no influence in public broadcasting content — a subject that has been covered at length by The Washington Times. NPR is not ‘federally subsidized.’ The majority of the federal funding distributed by the CPB goes to the independent local TV and radio stations for their annual operating costs. NPR gets less than 1 percent of its annual budget from CPB funding and this is solely through competitive grants for programs. The remaining 99 percent of our budget comes from station fees, corporate underwriting, private and community foundations and individual donor support.”
Greg Pierce can be reached at 202/636-3285 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq