- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
- Oregon vandals smear cars with doughnuts, pastries, chocolate bars
- Obama’s ‘Katrina moment’ leaves his favorability factor at 42 percent
- Feds tout nearly 200 arrests, $625K in seized cash in Texas border crackdown
- Joy Behar: Sarah Palin should be ‘turning letters over on some game show’
- Rhino poacher in South Africa sentenced to 77 years in jail
- John Kerry defies FAA and flies to Israel to talk peace
- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
As camps open, questions abound
Question of the Day
The NFC took a beating from the AFC the past four years, losing every Super Bowl as well as the interconference matchups 152-104. So, of course, there are plenty of questions to be answered as the 16 NFC teams open training camps this week.
Philadelphia — Are the Eagles still quarterback Donovan McNabb’s team after he missed 15 of the last 34 games and after they played better for the departed Jeff Garcia in 2006? Is top pass rusher Jevon Kearse fully recovered from the knee injury that cut his season?
Dallas — Will the players, especially mercurial receiver Terrell Owens, thrive without hard-nosed coach Bill Parcells or take advantage of softer replacement Wade Phillips? Is Tony Romo a true No. 1 quarterback? Can Phillips get the most out of the young defense?
New York Giants — Are coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning both in serious jeopardy after failing to win a playoff game in three years together? Can Reuben Droughns and Brandon Jacobs replace retired star running back Tiki Barber? Can the defense stop anybody?
Washington — Is Jason Campbell the long-term answer at quarterback this franchise has sought for years? Can the defense bounce back strong from a horrid 2006? Will the Redskins regret not drafting a defensive lineman? Is there a legitimate No. 2 receiver?
Chicago — Will coach Lovie Smith stick with quarterback Rex Grossman no matter what? Is Cedric Benson ready to be the full-time running back? Can the Bears be the NFC’s first repeat champ in a decade?
Green Bay — Do the Packers think they gained on the Bears by dumping running back Ahman Green and otherwise standing pat? Was the 4-0 finish (beating each division foe) a harbinger or fluke? Will Brett Favre do us all a favor and announce that this is his last season?
Minnesota — Does ace rookie running back Adrian Peterson know the Vikings don’t have a passing game? Is Tarvaris Jackson ready for the jump from Alabama State after throwing 81 passes as a rookie? Can nose tackle Pat Williams, 35 in October, stuff the run forever?
Detroit — Is Calvin Johnson the star that fellow first-round receivers Charles Rogers and Mike Williams weren’t and Roy Williams might finally be? How can the 28th-rated defense lose top cornerback Dre Bly and improve? Why is Matt Millen still the Lions’ general manager?
New Orleans — How much of last year’s stunning success was a post-Katrina wave of emotion? Are 2006 rookie surprises Marques Colston and Jahri Evans really that good? How much will corner Jason David and safety Kevin Kaesviharn upgrade the shaky secondary?
Carolina — Has the tandem of coach John Fox and quarterback Jake Delhomme run its course after a poor finish in 2006? Can hefty defensive tackle Kris Jenkins regain his Pro Bowl form after three down years? Is there a playmaker besides tiny receiver Steve Smith?
Atlanta — If Michael Vick is suspended in the dogfighting scandal, can the Falcons fly without their quarterback? Will rookies Jamaal Anderson and Chris Houston invigorate the porous pass defense? Is Joe Horn a No. 1 receiver at 35? Is Bobby Petrino the right coach?
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare in intensive care
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- Contrasting judgments on Obama's health care hours apart; appeals court calls subsidies unlawful
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq