- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
O'Malley considering tax increases
Gov. Martin O'Malley is looking at a variety of tax increases to help close a projected $1.5 billion deficit.
Mr. O'Malley, a Democrat, made no specific proposals during a meeting with the editorial board of the Baltimore Sun. But he was outspoken in his support for changing the state’s income tax structure so that the wealthy pay higher rates.
He said other possible solutions include increasing the sales tax from 5 percent to 6 percent, closing corporate tax loopholes and legalizing slot machines at racetracks. Mr. O'Malley also said he was “open to compromises and consensus” in dealings with lawmakers. Senate Minority Leader David R. Brinkley, Frederick County Republican, said tax increases are not necessary.
Woman says earring in her sandwich
A Westminster woman says she found an earring in her fish sandwich from Burger King.
Valarie Saunders says the earring cut the roof of her mouth while she was eating July 21 at the restaurant on Baltimore Boulevard in Westminster. She described the earring as a multicolored stud with the back on it.
Miss Saunders says she got a tetanus shot after the incident and plans to take an HIV test. She made a formal complaint Tuesday to the Carroll County Health Department and also said she is considering filing a lawsuit.
Health department officials visited the restaurant and determined the origin of the earring was unknown.
Teen found dead of gunshot wounds
The Prince George’s County Police Department is investigating the homicide death of a teenager.
Lt. Lisa Delabrer said officers were called Friday at about 10:30 p.m. to the 8100 block of Martin Luther King Highway. They found a body with multiple gunshot wounds. The victim was identified as Eugene Jones, 16, of Landover. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police have no motive or witnesses in the investigation.
Officer accused in wife’s slaying
The Baltimore Police Department is looking for a correctional officer in connection with the fatal shooting of his wife.
Police said the shooting occurred Friday at around 11:20 p.m. during an argument in their home and that the suspect, Lt. Donald Webb Jr., also shot and wounded his 13-year-old stepson.
Lt. Webb, 48, works for the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services as a supervisor at the Baltimore City Correctional Center, a minimum-security facility.
According to police, Lt. Webb shot his wife, Cynthia, several times with a handgun as they argued in the bedroom of their Southwest Baltimore row house. Police said he then ran downstairs and shot the teenager, whose name has not been released.
The boy was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Teen gets a year in high-speed death
A Great Falls teenager convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death of a friend was sentenced to one year in prison.
Prosecutors said Saadet Muslu, 18, was driving faster than 100 mph in September when her car crashed on the George Washington Parkway. One of the passengers, Jessie Little, 21, was killed and two others were seriously injured.
Muslu has already served six months in jail. When her sentence ends, she will spend the next 10 years talking to teens about the dangers of speeding and what it’s like to go to prison.
From wire dispatches and staff reports.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow