- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
Vick’s summer full of dog days
* Don’t believe the story about Mickey Mantle blasting a 565-foot homer — right here in D.C. — off the Senators’ Chuck Stobbs. “Physicists estimate the farthest a man can hit a ball at sea level, without help from the wind, is about 475 feet.”
* ”The maximum bat weight before swing speed drops is about 41 ounces. But a pro player’s ideal bat weight is lighter — in the 31- to 32-ounce range.” In other words, Alfonso Soriano’s 35-ounce telephone pole might not be such a good idea.
* And my personal favorite: “The average pro swing imparts enough force to the ball to stop a Mini Cooper, rolling at 10 mph, in its tracks.”
• • •
If Rolaids can sponsor an annual award for relief pitchers, why can’t Kaiser Permanente sponsor one for “best performance in a rehab assignment”?
• • •
Seriously, is it just me, or are these assignments multiplying? Curt Schilling, for example, has one more start scheduled at Pawtucket before rejoining the Red Sox — his 11th rehab appearance since 2003. Kerry Wood’s next outing with the Peoria Chiefs, meanwhile, will be his ninth since ‘04 (with more to come this season, the Cubs hope). Has any pitcher ever won the Cy Young and Minor League Player of the Year awards in the same season?
• • •
Elsewhere in sports, 33 cheerleaders from two Texas high schools got into a dormitory scuffle at a camp at Texas State University last week. The Fox network is already planning a special on the episode — “When Cheerleaders Attack.”
• • •
And finally …
Fearless prediction: The Tour de France will be won today by a clown on a unicycle.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again