- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
Question of the Day
The girl was taken to Washington County Hospital and treated for head trauma.
Police said Miss Burns was charged with driving under the influence.
Woman fights, kills would-be robber
A woman fatally shot and stabbed an armed man who forced his way into her Hagerstown apartment looking for drugs and money, police said.
Carri Humphrey, 22, told police that she thought she recognized a tenant in her apartment building when he knocked on her apartment door about 3:30 a.m. Sunday. When she opened the door, two men pushed into the apartment, including one who carried a rifle and covered his face with a red bandanna.
Miss Humphrey told police that one of the men began punching her in the face and head, and she shouted to her roommate Michelle Reeder, 24, to get a handgun.
Miss Reeder ran into another room with the handgun, took cover behind a couch and tried to fire a warning shot, according to the police account. But the safety was on, and the gun did not fire. As the man charged her, Miss Reeder then fired several shots, striking him in the upper torso.
Miss Reeder and the intruder struggled, falling into the bedroom, police said, until she stabbed the man in the back with a knife Miss Humphrey got from the kitchen. The two women then fled to a neighbor’s apartment and called police.
Officers found James Michael Conely, 32, of Hagerstown, dead in a bedroom of the women’s apartment. Michael John Watkins, 21, was arrested as he walked nearby, based on the women’s description. He has been charged with several counts of burglary, attempted armed robbery, and theft. Police said Mr. Watkins told them that they were looking for drugs and money.
The women were treated Sunday at Washington County Hospital and released, police said.
Girl, 13, fatally shot in ice cream truck
The Charles County sheriff has identified a suspect in the killing of a 13-year-old girl who was shot during a robbery of a family ice cream truck Friday night.
Police are looking for Kevin Mark Warren of Waldorf on charges of first-degree murder.
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world