- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
The girl was taken to Washington County Hospital and treated for head trauma.
Police said Miss Burns was charged with driving under the influence.
Woman fights, kills would-be robber
A woman fatally shot and stabbed an armed man who forced his way into her Hagerstown apartment looking for drugs and money, police said.
Carri Humphrey, 22, told police that she thought she recognized a tenant in her apartment building when he knocked on her apartment door about 3:30 a.m. Sunday. When she opened the door, two men pushed into the apartment, including one who carried a rifle and covered his face with a red bandanna.
Miss Reeder ran into another room with the handgun, took cover behind a couch and tried to fire a warning shot, according to the police account. But the safety was on, and the gun did not fire. As the man charged her, Miss Reeder then fired several shots, striking him in the upper torso.
Miss Reeder and the intruder struggled, falling into the bedroom, police said, until she stabbed the man in the back with a knife Miss Humphrey got from the kitchen. The two women then fled to a neighbor’s apartment and called police.
Officers found James Michael Conely, 32, of Hagerstown, dead in a bedroom of the women’s apartment. Michael John Watkins, 21, was arrested as he walked nearby, based on the women’s description. He has been charged with several counts of burglary, attempted armed robbery, and theft. Police said Mr. Watkins told them that they were looking for drugs and money.
The women were treated Sunday at Washington County Hospital and released, police said.
Girl, 13, fatally shot in ice cream truck
The Charles County sheriff has identified a suspect in the killing of a 13-year-old girl who was shot during a robbery of a family ice cream truck Friday night.
Police are looking for Kevin Mark Warren of Waldorf on charges of first-degree murder.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Richard Ivory, editor-in-chief of Hip Hop Republicans and HHR at Communities Digital News, turns his interests, and pen, to the people making news today.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow