- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Question of the Day
ASEAN draft charter omits rights body
MANILA — Southeast Asian diplomats have completed the first draft of a landmark charter for the region but left out a provision creating a human rights body after a dispute, a senior official said yesterday.
The issue now will be decided at a meeting of foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) today in Manila.
The first draft, a copy of which was shown to Reuters news agency, agreed to maintain the bloc’s traditional way of deciding issues through a consensus and made no mention of sanctions for member states guilty of serious violations of the charter.
Subs make test dive on way to North Pole
MOSCOW — Two Russian deep-sea submersibles made a test dive in polar waters yesterday ahead of a mission to be the first to reach the seabed under the North Pole, the ITAR-Tass news agency said.
Tass said it took an hour for Mir-1 and Mir-2, each carrying one pilot, to reach the seabed at a depth of 4,301 feet, 47 nautical miles north of Russia’s northernmost archipelago, Franz Josef Land in the Barents Sea.
As the Arctic ice cap thins as a result of global warming, a race is looming to claim ownership of the rich energy resources under the North Pole.
From wire dispatches and staff reports
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
- HUSAIN: Worlds grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors