- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
ASEAN draft charter omits rights body
MANILA — Southeast Asian diplomats have completed the first draft of a landmark charter for the region but left out a provision creating a human rights body after a dispute, a senior official said yesterday.
The issue now will be decided at a meeting of foreign ministers of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) today in Manila.
The first draft, a copy of which was shown to Reuters news agency, agreed to maintain the bloc’s traditional way of deciding issues through a consensus and made no mention of sanctions for member states guilty of serious violations of the charter.
Subs make test dive on way to North Pole
MOSCOW — Two Russian deep-sea submersibles made a test dive in polar waters yesterday ahead of a mission to be the first to reach the seabed under the North Pole, the ITAR-Tass news agency said.
Tass said it took an hour for Mir-1 and Mir-2, each carrying one pilot, to reach the seabed at a depth of 4,301 feet, 47 nautical miles north of Russia’s northernmost archipelago, Franz Josef Land in the Barents Sea.
As the Arctic ice cap thins as a result of global warming, a race is looming to claim ownership of the rich energy resources under the North Pole.
From wire dispatches and staff reports
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014