- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
Dead bird scare prompts review
Metro is reviewing its contract with a pest control company after a poison scare closed three subway stations Sunday.
A Metro spokeswoman said the company, Dixon’s Pest Control, did not follow proper procedures when it left the poison to kill pigeons at about noon Sunday, resulting in the discovery of dozens of dead birds outside at least six stations.
Federal agencies, including the FBI, joined local hazardous materials crews in the investigation.
The contractor was supposed to place the poison during late-night or early-morning hours, and then wait to do the cleanup before moving to the next station, Metro spokeswoman Candace Smith said.
The agency said it is working with the Humane Society for solutions to its pigeon problem.
Man killed in plane crash
Virginia State Police said one person was killed in a small-aircraft crash in Franklin County.
Sgt. Bob Carpentieri said the crash happened Sunday night in woods near Rocky Mount. He said search crews found a downed ultralight aircraft with one confirmed fatality about 8:20 p.m., about two hours after local authorities got a call about a crash.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'economic freedom zones' for Detroit
- Redskins' season hits bottom with Chiefs blowout
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- FENNO: Mike Shanahan's empty words no salve to free-falling Redskins
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Sen. Rand Paul: 'I am seriously thinking about' running for president in 2016
- Legalizing illegal immigrants is the solution to Obamacare: Democrat
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
"Critical thinking is thinking about your thinking while you're thinking in order to make your thinking better." - Dr. Richard Paul
Go beyond tourism's "top 10" bus tour destinations with Susan McKee as she explores the varied history, culture, food, and gardens, of the world.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!