- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Around the Nation
Question of the Day
COLUMBIA — Someone spray-painted graffiti on the home of President James K. Polk, authorities said.
The words “meat,” “glue” and “SMR” were written around the front door of the home, built in 1816 by the president’s father about 45 miles south of Nashville.
Polk home director John Holtzapple said the home’s curator discovered the vandalism about 7 a.m. Monday, and it was cleaned the same day.
The Polk home is the 11th president’s only surviving residence aside from the White House. It is now a museum.
Man arrested in mob beating
AUSTIN — A man was arrested in the beating death of a passenger riding in a car that struck and injured a toddler, and more arrests were likely, police said.
Kurtiss Colvin, 20, was being held yesterday on felony charges of manslaughter and theft and a misdemeanor charge of assault, police said. Bond was set at $215,000.
David Rivas Morales, 40, died of blunt-force trauma to the head on June 19 after being attacked while trying to protect a driver who had bumped a toddler, authorities said. The child was not seriously hurt.
“The investigation is definitely far from over,” police Sgt. Hector Reveles said. “We have talked to a lot of people. And we believe there are several more people that are involved.”
From staff reports and wire dispatches
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq