- The Washington Times - Thursday, July 5, 2007

LONDON A Scottish house had been used as a makeshift bomb factory to carry out the terror attacks in London and Scotland, the British press reported today.

Meanwhile, a subway derailed in the capital during rush hour, raising jitters in the wake of the foiled terror plots and Saturday’s anniversary of the deadly 2005 suicide bombings.

Police said the train derailment on London’s Central line was unrelated to the terror plots. At least one person was injured in the accident, which was reportedly caused because of an obstruction on the tracks.

Britain’s terrorism threat level has been lowered after the capture of eight persons connected with the three failed car bombings, but authorities were still investigating the possibility of a sleeper cell operating in the country.

At least two of the suspects, who are mostly doctors, reportedly rented a house just a few miles from the Glasgow airport where two men crashed a gas-laden Jeep Cherokee into the barriers outside the main terminal. The two men slept upstairs and used the downstairs as a makeshift bomb factory, several British news outlets reported, citing unidentified sources.

Brian Harvey, a 60-year-old construction worker who lives on the street where the house is located, said he had seen a green sport utility vehicle outside the property being searched. He said the car was nicer than most found in the neighborhood.

Police were still outside the house this morning.

Two other suspects reportedly stayed at medical staff accommodation at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, British newspapers reported. Scotland Yard refused to confirm any of the reports.

There have been 38 racist incidents in the Glasgow area since the attack, and tensions have been running high, police said.

There have been a number of beatings, including a revenge attack on a white youth by three South Asian youths who believed he had been involved in a previous racially motivated attack.

Other incidents included verbal attacks. There were no serious injuries.

Six physicians are among the eight suspects — one each from Iraq, Lebanon and Jordan and two from India. Also in custody are the Jordanian’s wife, a medical assistant, and a doctor and medical student thought to be from the Middle East, possibly Saudi Arabia. None has been charged.

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Click to Read More

Click to Hide