- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- U.N. school in Gaza caught in cross-fire; 15 killed
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
Around the nation
Question of the Day
F-16s force plane to land
OCEANSIDE — Air Force F-16 fighters forced a small plane experiencing engine trouble to land after the pilot did not respond to radio calls.
The Cessna was spotted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) radar operators on Wednesday about 15 miles across the U.S.-Mexico border. Operators at the Air and Marine Operations center in Riverside watched as the plane turned around and began heading north, prompting the scrambling of the F-16s.
“Once it crossed the border, it became a national-security incident,” CBP spokesman Juan Munoz Torres said.
When the plane landed at a municipal airport, it was met by Oceanside police, San Diego County sheriff’s deputies, CBP agents and a drug-sniffing dog.
The plane’s three male occupants were U.S. citizens whose plane had developed engine and communication problems, Mr. Torres said. By early evening, officials had confirmed the story and the three were released.
Man charged in 1986 slaying
DEERFIELD BEACH — More than 20 years after a woman was found strangled in a roadway, a high-school classmate who had served time for killing a pregnant teen has been charged with the woman’s murder.
Gary Troutman was ordered held without bail Wednesday in connection with the March 1986 death of Angela Savage, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office said.
4-year-old found as 911 prankster
CARPENTERSVILLE — Authorities tracked down a 4-year-old girl who called 911 nearly 300 times last month by offering to deliver McDonald’s to her suburban Chicago apartment.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq