- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Around the nation
F-16s force plane to land
OCEANSIDE — Air Force F-16 fighters forced a small plane experiencing engine trouble to land after the pilot did not respond to radio calls.
The Cessna was spotted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) radar operators on Wednesday about 15 miles across the U.S.-Mexico border. Operators at the Air and Marine Operations center in Riverside watched as the plane turned around and began heading north, prompting the scrambling of the F-16s.
“Once it crossed the border, it became a national-security incident,” CBP spokesman Juan Munoz Torres said.
When the plane landed at a municipal airport, it was met by Oceanside police, San Diego County sheriff’s deputies, CBP agents and a drug-sniffing dog.
The plane’s three male occupants were U.S. citizens whose plane had developed engine and communication problems, Mr. Torres said. By early evening, officials had confirmed the story and the three were released.
Man charged in 1986 slaying
DEERFIELD BEACH — More than 20 years after a woman was found strangled in a roadway, a high-school classmate who had served time for killing a pregnant teen has been charged with the woman’s murder.
Gary Troutman was ordered held without bail Wednesday in connection with the March 1986 death of Angela Savage, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office said.
4-year-old found as 911 prankster
CARPENTERSVILLE — Authorities tracked down a 4-year-old girl who called 911 nearly 300 times last month by offering to deliver McDonald’s to her suburban Chicago apartment.
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Kirsten Dunst: Actress sparks feminist ire: 'You need a man to be a man'
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes