- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Question of the Day
10 a.m. —Foreign Affairsterrorism, nonproliferation and trade subcommittee holds a hearing on “The United States-South Korea FTA: The Foreign Policy Implications.” Karan Bhatia, deputy representative in the Office of the United States Trade Representative, and Christopher Hill, assistant secretary of the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs for the State Department, testify. Location: 2237 Rayburn House Office Building. Contact: 202/225-5021.
10 a.m. —Oversight and Government Reform Committeeholds a hearing on statements made by General Services Administration Administrator Lurita Doan to the U.S. Office of Special Counsel about agency political appointees who cooperated in the committee’s investigation into her conduct at the GSA. She testifies. Location: 2154 Rayburn House Office Building. Contact: 202/225-5051.
10 a.m. —Small Business Committeeholds a hearing on “U.S. Trade Policy and Small Business.” Steven Preston, administrator of the Small Business Administration, and Tiffany Moore, assistant U.S. trade representative for intergovernmental affairs and public liaison, testify. Location: 2360 Rayburn House Office Building. Contact: 202/225-5821.
Builders and contractors conference — all day —Associated Builders and Contractors holds a National Legislative Conference. Events begin at 7 a.m.
Highlights — 8:30 a.m. — Sen. Jim DeMint, South Carolina Republican, delivers remarks.
9:30 a.m. —Meetings on Capitol Hill
5 p.m. — Free Enterprise Alliance reception
Location: Capitol Hilton Hotel, 16th and K streets Northwest, or as noted. Contact: 703/812-2073 or 703/812-2062.
Energy reception — 7:30 a.m. —The United States Energy Association and Johnson Controls Inc. hold their 18th Annual Energy Efficiency Forum. Participants include Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr., Wisconsin Republican, and Energy Secretary Samuel W. Bodman. Location: National Press Club, 14th and F streets Northwest, grand ballroom. Contact: 414/524-4819.
Bankers meeting — 8:15 a.m. —The Nebraska Bankers Association holds its Washington legislative visit.
Highlights — 10:30 a.m. — Sen. Ben Nelson, Nebraska Democrat, delivers remarks.
11:30 a.m. — Sen. Chuck Hagel, Nebraska Republican, delivers remarks.
12:30 p.m. — Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns delivers remarks.
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq