- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
Sprinkles of delight
Question of the Day
At natural foods markets, you can also find date sugar, a sweet powder made of ground dried dates. Unlike other types of sugar, it does not dissolve. Date sugar is particularly good in cookies, pancakes and cinnamon rolls.
Substituting these sugars for ordinary white table sugar can lead to interesting new versions of your favorite desserts. Brown sugars make desserts darker. With chocolate cakes, I find this can be advantageous.
Some forms of brown sugar are moister than white sugar. When you substitute them, you should slightly reduce the liquid amount in the recipe. So with delicate desserts such as sponge cake, start with just a small proportion of a different sugar, taste and see if you would like to add more the next time you make it.
Sugar also comes in liquid form. In addition to the familiar corn syrup, maple syrup, honey and molasses, at natural foods stores you can find brown rice syrup and barley malt. Middle Eastern markets carry additional liquid sweeteners, such as date syrup, carob syrup and grape molasses. When using them in desserts, subtract an equivalent amount of liquid from the recipe.
A few more sugar facts:
m In recipes, plain white table sugar is often referred to as granulated sugar.
m Superfine sugar is finer than granulated; a close British form is called caster sugar.
m Confectioners’ sugar, also called powdered or icing sugar, has been pulverized until very fine. Usually it is mixed with a little cornstarch to prevent caking.
m Coarse or pearl sugar is used for garnish. Sometimes it is sprinkled over pastries before they are put in the oven because it retains a crunchy texture during baking.
m Store brown sugar in a cool area in a covered container.
m Measure brown sugar by firmly packing it into a measuring cup.
m If brown sugar becomes too hard, you can soften it in the microwave. Put about 1 cup brown sugar in a covered container and microwave for 20 or 30 seconds. Check, and if it’s still hard, microwave again, just until it’s soft enough to use but not until it melts. Caution: At this point, the sugar will be very hot. Microwave only the amount you need, since leftovers will harden.
Golden pine nut chocolate chip bars
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- UHLER and FERRARA: Obamacare, the end of the progressive era
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Paul Rondeau exposes the propaganda, media tricks, and government policies that undermine our families, faith, freedom…and even life itself
Implement these actionable tips, how-to’s and best practices in 10 minutes or less to leverage online communications and technology for brand, business and career development.
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow