- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Question of the Day
2:30 p.m. — Foreign Relations international operations, and organizations, democracy and human rights subcommittee holds a hearing on “The Passport Backlog and the State Department’s Response to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.” Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Maura Harty testifies. Location: 419 Dirksen Senate Office Building. Contact: 202/224-4651.
Meets at 9 a.m. for morning hour and 10 a.m. to consider the fiscal 2008 Energy and Water Appropriations bill. Contact: Republican Cloakroom, 202/225-2020, or Democratic Cloakroom, 202/225-1600.
10 a.m. — Natural Resources national parks, forests and public lands subcommittee holds a hearing on “Wildfire Preparedness: An Ounce of Prevention Is Worth a Pound of Cure.” Agriculture Undersecretary for Natural Resources and Environment Mark Rey and Assistant Interior Secretary for Land and Mineral Management Stephen Allred testify. Location: 1324 Longworth House Office Building. Contact: 202/225-6065.
2 p.m. — Foreign Affairs Middle East and South Asia subcommittee holds a hearing on “Working in a War Zone: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in Civilians Returning From Iraq.” George Staples, director general of the Foreign Service and director of Human Resources at the State Department, testifies. Location: 2172 Rayburn House Office Building. Contact: 202/225-5021.
4 p.m. — Judiciary immigration, citizenship, refugees, border security and international law subcommittee holds a hearing on “Comprehensive Immigration Reform: Government Perspectives on Immigration Statistics.” Steven Camarota, director of research at the Center for Immigration Studies, and Shannon Benton, executive director of the Retired Enlisted Association Senior Citizens League, testify. Location: 2237 Rayburn House Office Building. Contact: 202/225-3951.
Small vessel security — all day — The Homeland Security Department holds its National Small Vessel Security Summit. Events begin at 7:30 a.m.
Highlights — 9 a.m. — Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Thad Allen delivers remarks.
9:30 a.m. — U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner W. Ralph Basham delivers remarks.
Noon — Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff delivers remarks.
Location: Marriott Crystal Gateway, 1700 Jefferson Davis Drive, Arlington. Contact: 202/282-8010.
Take Back America — all day — The Campaign for America’s Future holds its 2007 Take Back America Conference. Events begin at 8 a.m.
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Our Choice: Individual responsibility and self-government or the abandonment of the American Revolution
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow