- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- Israeli fire hits U.N. facility in Gaza, killing 15
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
Inside the Beltway
Question of the Day
Getting Whoopi? Washington Conservative Political Action Conference director and columnist Lisa de Pasquale has the inside scoop on who’s in the running to fill RosieO’Donnell’s seat on “The View.”
“Names being thrown in the mix include Kathy Griffin, Gayle King and Roseanne Barr. However, several entertainment publications are putting their money on actress Whoopi Goldberg,” notes Miss de Pasquale.
Miss Goldberg “last raised the ire of conservatives when she spoke at a fund-raiser for then-presidential candidate John Kerry in 2004. Whoopi’s profanity-laced routine about PresidentBush’s last name was short on punch lines (unless you’re a 12-year-old boy in sex ed class).”
We can’t reprint what Miss Goldberg said about Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, but as Miss de Pasquale points out, “she attacks, I mean jokes, about white and black conservatives” alike.
Which is why she just might get the gig at ABC.
“What ‘The View’ producers have learned from Rosie’s rants against the Bush administration is that they can insulate themselves from criticism if they use a comedienne to spout the same leftist views,” explains Miss de Pasquale. “They’ll say, ‘Oh she was just joking!’”
John McCaslin can be reached at 202/636-3284 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq