- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Question of the Day
SEEN AND HEARD AT TURNER FIELD
ATLANTA — Watching Alex Escobar play catch yesterday afternoon, well before the ballgame, a reporter couldn’t help but wonder how much of a difference he would make on this team if healthy.
The talented outfielder, whose entire career has been marred by freak injuries (like the dislocated shoulder he suffered last season in Atlanta), sure would look nice in center field hitting leadoff for the Nationals right now.
Perhaps — and this is a big perhaps — he could be there within a few weeks, once he gets over a sprained ankle. Manny Acta said Escobar could be ready “in about 10 days.”
But when have we heard that one before?
BY THE NUMBERS
Record for the Nationals in their last 13 series against the Braves.
Nationals LHP Matt Chico (3-5, 5.08) vs. Pirates RHP Ian Snell (6-5, 2.92), 7:05 p.m., MASN, AM-1500, FM-107.7.
— Mark Zuckerman
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq