- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Democrats want Capitol Hill as a ‘green’ beacon for planet
Question of the Day
Democratic leaders yesterday called for the “greening” of buildings on Capitol Hill, saying politicians have the responsibility to preserve the planet.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has led a charge to fight global warming, and other top Democrats wrote a letter to the chief administrative officer of the House asking him to embark on a “Green the Capitol” initiative.
“The Capitol complex should lead the nation in preserving our planet for future generations,” the Democrats wrote to Daniel P. Beard yesterday.
The letter was signed by Mrs. Pelosi, Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer of Maryland and Juanita Millender-McDonald of California, the chairman of the House Administration Committee.
The Democrats asked Mr. Beard to provide them with a preliminary report by April 30 and a final report by June 30 on ways to conserve energy inside the Capitol and its adjoining congressional offices.
“We are writing to direct you to undertake a critical initiative to address energy conservation, efficiency and cost savings,” they wrote. “The House of Representatives should provide leadership to the nation in providing an environmentally responsible and healthy working environment for our employees.”
They suggested Mr. Beard coordinate with his Senate counterparts, the Capitol Police and the Architect of the Capitol Office. Among their requests was to ensure the House has the most up-to-date standards for green building efforts.
It is the latest move highlighting Democrats’ plans to take action on climate change. Mrs. Pelosi has created a special panel to study global warming and took the rare step of testifying before the Science and Technology Committee on the topic last month.
On the Senate side, there is bipartisan consensus that legislation is necessary to curb carbon emissions, though a method for achieving drastic reduction is far from agreed upon.
Former Vice President Al Gore, whose film on global warming, “An Inconvenient Truth,” won an Oscar, plans to testify on Capitol Hill this month and deliver hundreds of thousands of postcards he has collected from citizens demanding a climate-change bill.
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world