- The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 29, 2007

12:56 p.m.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - One of the three former Duke lacrosse players cleared of rape charges earlier this year announced today that he will attend Brown University in the fall and play lacrosse for the Bears.

“I hope to make them proud of accepting me as a student,” Reade Seligmann said in a statement provided to the Associated Press by his attorney, Jim Cooney. “I am looking forward to just being a student again.”

Brown coach Lars Tiffany did not immediately return a call seeking comment. The sports information director at the Ivy League school, Christopher Humm, had no immediate comment.

Duke suspended Seligmann, who was a sophomore, along with fellow players Collin Finnerty and Dave Evans after charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense were filed last year. A woman had told police she was attacked by three men at a March 2006 lacrosse team party where she was hired to perform as a stripper.

The rape charges were dropped in December, and North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper declared the trio “innocent” while dropping the remaining charges last month.

Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong, who led the investigation before turning it over to state prosecutors, goes on trial next month for ethics violations connected to his handling of the case.

Seligmann and Finnerty were invited back to Duke. Finnerty remains undecided, and Evans graduated last year.

Seligmann’s announcement came a day after the Blue Devils lost to Johns Hopkins 12-11 in the NCAA championship game in Baltimore.

“I appreciate the support and loyalty of my teammates and coaches at Duke,” Seligmann said. “I will miss them. I know that they will understand why I cannot return to Duke.”

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide