- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Council silences embattled mayor
Mr. Kilpatrick, who is fighting criminal charges, walked into the council chambers, sat down and prepared to speak. Council President Ken Cockrel then informed him that he had discussed the matter with other members over the weekend, and they agreed not to hear from the mayor.
Rumsfeld to publish memoir in 2010
NEW YORK — Donald H. Rumsfeld, the powerful defense secretary and architect of the Iraq war who left office in late 2006 as he faced rising criticism, is working on a memoir to be published by Penguin Group (USA) in 2010.
“This will be a story that will span my lifetime,” Mr. Rumsfeld, 75, told the Associated Press yesterday. “It will be something that I will try hard to … be very fair and honest and useful. I hope it adds to people’s information about these times.”
The book is currently untitled.
Mr. Rumsfeld met with several publishers and received “big bids” for his book, said a publishing official who asked not to be identified, but the former defense secretary accepted no advance, only money for expenses. Any profits will be donated to a foundation Mr. Rumsfeld has established to fund such projects as grants for “promising young individuals” interested in public service.
Big quake called likely by 2037
LOS ANGELES — California faces an almost certain risk of being rocked by a strong earthquake by 2037, scientists said yesterday in the first statewide temblor forecast.
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Calif. shop facing angry fire pulls 'smart gun' from shelves
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again