• A survey says the national average price for gasoline rose 5 cents over the past two weeks. The average price of self-serve regular gasoline on Friday was $3.32 a gallon, midgrade was $3.44, and premium was $3.55, according to the Lundberg Survey.
• Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejadis urging members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries to form a joint bank and stop pricing oil trades in U.S. dollars. According to the Iranian government’s Web site, Mr. Ahmadinejad told OPEC Secretary-General Abdalla Salem el-Badri that the cartel “should establish a joint bank as well as having joint currency.”
• President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s economy minister yesterday acknowledged that Iran’s government had failed to control rampant inflation, which figures showed rose to 18.4 percent in the last Iranian year. Economy and Finance Minister Davoud Danesh Jaafari made the comments after charges that Mr. Ahmadinejad has been stoking inflation with his expansionary economic policies.
• British Airways said it canceled 126 flights to and from London’s Heathrow Airport because of heavy snowfall and persistent problems with the airport’s new terminal. A spokeswoman for the carrier said 114 flights were canceled because of snow and 12 owing to computer glitches at the recently opened Terminal 5.
• British Airways pilots want airline Chief Executive Willie Walsh fired over Terminal 5 problems at London’s Heathrow Airport, the pilots union said, criticizing Mr. Walsh for “arrogance,” the Sunday Times of London reported. Since the multibillion-dollar facility opened this month, thousands of bags have been misplaced and hundreds of flights have been affected, the newspaper reported.
• Persian Gulf central bank chiefs stuck to their target date of 2010 for a single currency and did not discuss revaluing their dollar-pegged currencies against the tumbling greenback, officials said.
From wire dispatches and staff reports
By Rand Paul
Obama acts as though we no longer have a Constitution
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up.
Libertarian thought beyond politics, unrestrained by convention.
Empowering mind/body/spirit and health dialogue along with cutting-edge, conscious social, political, and world commentary with Adam Omkara. Join the Evolution!
Viewing and reviewing the Los Angeles experimental and classic punk scene with a nod to Rodney's English Disco
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc