- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Friday’s best bet on television
BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Shortly after 11 p.m. ET Saturday, the world will know whether Michael Phelps secured a record eighth gold medal in Beijing as he finishes with the 4x100-meter medley relay, an event the Americans won in Athens.
Olympic track and field
Check out American Tyson Gay in the 100 meters, plus coverage of the heptathalon, hammer throw and triple jump.
NASCAR Sprint Cup
It’s the final race before the Chase, with Clint Bowyer and David Ragan sitting right outside the bubble and Kevin Harvick and Matt Kenseth sitting right inside. Who will be the top 12 drivers Sunday afternoon?
Brewers at Dodgers
Both teams made big trades to improve before the deadline. Both are hot and will look to gain an edge in the playoff race at Chavez Ravine.
TWT FIVE: OLDEST MEN’S TRACK AND FIELD RECORDS
1. Discus — On June 6, 1986, East German Jurgen Schulte threw the discus 74.08 meters, (more than 243 feet) besting the previous record by more than two meters.
2. Hammer throw — Soviet big man Yuriy Sedykh set the record of 86.74 meters during the European Championships on Aug. 30, 1986. Nearly 22 years later, the record still stands, and only two others have topped 86 meters.
3. Shot put — Randy Barnes’ record of 23.12 meters was set Aug. 20, 1990, and has never been topped, even as many shot putters have been linked to performance-enhancing drugs. Barnes himself was suspended for life from the Olympics for drugs, but his record still stands.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Glenn Beck takes on Hollywood with big movie production plans
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.