- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
SATURDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Watch as Art Monk and Darrell Green are immortalized in Canton. Hall of Fame induction ceremony. 6 p.m., ESPN
ON WASHINGTONTIMES.COM AN EXCERPT FROM D1SCOURSE, OUR COLLEGES BLOG
Here are a few things that can be discerned from the preseason football coaches poll released Friday:
*The SEC will be a very scary neighborhood. Four of the top 11, five of the top 18 and seven of the top 27 reside in the SEC. That alone is reason to believe the eventual national champion will not emerge from American’s most powerful football conference; it’ll be tough for a two-loss team to factor into the national title picture again.
*Texas Tech and Clemson Kool-Aid sure tastes good. Let’s see whether the Red Raiders’ defense and the Tigers’ unflinching ability to lose a game they have no reason to lose come back and bit them this season. For now, Clemson is No. 9 and Texas Tech is No. 14.
*The ACC is good at “also receiving votes.” Clemson, Virginia Tech (No. 15) and Wake Forest (No. 23) are ranked, while Florida State (T-29th), Boston College (31st), Virginia (38th), Maryland (45th), North Carolina (T-46th) and Georgia Tech (T-49th) also picked up mentions.
That also means Steve Spurrier is not voting this year, since Duke did not receive a token 25th-place vote.
* A pick for the best team not to receive a vote: Either Purdue or Miami, not exactly an inspiring pair. The best team to receive no more than one vote is Colorado, which deals with neither Oklahoma nor Texas Tech this year.
- Patrick Stevens
TWT TOP FIVE BIGGEST NFL TRAINING CAMP GAMBLES
1. Ricky Williams, Miami - The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner is supposedly in good shape and more motivated than ever, but how will the yogi and the Tuna find harmony?
2. Adam Jones, Dallas - The artist formerly known as “Pacman” has promised to remain on his best behavior, and former Cowboys star Michael Irvin believes him. Somehow Irvin’s endorsement isn’t reassuring.
3. Quincy Carter, Miami - The former Dallas Cowboys and New York Jets quarterback worked out for the Dolphins on Thursday. Carter has played Arena League ball since drugs and interceptions ruined his pro career.
4. Mike Williams, Tennessee - Williams has prodigious talent and a reputation for being undermotivated and overweight. So it came as no surprise when the Titans rolled the dice - and then released former first round draft pick Thursday.
About the Author
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014