- Outrage as Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene
- Israel poised for a $173M boost from the U.S. for missile defense
- Leon Panetta named as source of ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ scriptwriter’s information
- Mandela service sign language interpreter: ‘He made up his own signs’
- Pope Francis named Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
- Ben Affleck: Fundraising for Democrats started to ‘feel gross’
- Vladimir Putin orders military to boost presence in Arctic
- Brooklyn, N.Y.: ‘Lesbian capital’ of the Northeast
- Elian Gonzalez: It’s America’s fault that my mother died
- India top court rules homosexuality is illegal
FRIDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
After an encouraging series against the Dodgers, the Nationals host the Braves in the first of a three-game set. 7:30 p.m., Ch. 20, MASN
BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Clemson vs. Alabama
The Tigers appear to be everyone’s pick to win the ACC and have arguably the conference’s best player in Cullen Harper. But there’s a ton of pressure on Tommy Bowden, and his team faces a tough opening test against Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide.
Phillies at Cubs
Useless fact: The Cubs and Phillies have never made the playoffs in the same year. Chicago is the class of the National League, while Philadelphia is in a NL East dogfight with the Mets for the second straight year.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Pepsi 500
Well, it’s clear that Carl Edwards and Kyle Busch won’t exchange Christmas cards this year after their tussle at Bristol. But with those two already squarely in the chase, expect fireworks from some drivers on the bubble Sunday at Fontana.
Deutsche Bank Championship
The second leg of the FedEx Cup takes place in suburban Boston, with Phil Mickelson looking to defend his title from last year. Meanwhile, several players, including Steve Stricker and Rocco Mediate, have one last chance to impress U.S. Ryder Cup captain Paul Azinger.
TWT FIVE: BEST BOWDENS
1. Bobby Bowden — The Florida State coach has 373 wins, more than anyone who has coached in Division I. He has won two national championships with the Seminoles and 12 conference titles.
2. Tommy Bowden — The coach at Clemson has a career record of 87-46 with eight bowl berths. He has just a 3-5 record in those games, however, and has failed to take his team to a BCS bowl.
3. Terry Bowden — Compiled a 111-53-2 record during stints at three schools, including six years at Auburn. Now an analyst with ABC/ESPN.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Teen thugs in DC run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- New budget accord saves $23 billion -- after $65 billion spending spree
- More than a quarter million sign up for Obamacare in November
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- Gov't Motors: Obama fudges math on auto bailout, $10.5 billion loss for taxpayers
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
News and views on the Civil War.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow